The Império do Espírito Santo das Crianças is located in the parish of Santa Cruz, municipality of Praia da Vitória.
It was built by the Municipality of Praia da Vitória, in the first decade of the 21st century, in 2009 and is located at Rua Dr. Rodrigues da Silva, in the city of Praia da Vitória. This Brotherhood was created in the 19th century with the aim of helping needy children, daughters of large families and who lived with many difficulties.
However, this purpose was forgotten for some time until, in 1959, Manuel Laranjeiras, António Gil and Elias Silva took up this initiative again, building an empire in wood. The empire that currently exists consists of a structure built into the wall, but continues to perform the same functions as in the past.
The celebration of the feast in honor of the Divine Holy Spirit takes place on Ascension Sunday, that is, the Sunday before Pentecost.
During the festive period, it is customary to have lighting, singing and a “calves” for children. In ancient times, this “calf”, according to the testimonies of some ancient people, was made with sheep.
On Ascension Sunday, the procession of the Holy Spirit departs from the Empire towards the parish church, accompanied by the União Praiense Philharmonic, where a festive mass is celebrated.
After this liturgical act, the coronations take place. Afterwards, the procession returns to the starting point and, together with the empire, “gifts” of milk bread are distributed to the children.
Whenever there is budget availability, a function is held for the aforementioned children who are part of the coronation procession.