The Império do Espírito Santo do Porto Judeu de Cima, also known as Império do Galinho is located in the parish of Porto Judeu, municipality of Angra do Heroísmo, in Grota do Tapete, in Caminho da Cidade, replacing another that existed built in wood.
The current property dates from 1933, with its statutes dating back to October 1874. This empire served the entire population of Caminho da Cidade and Outeiro (now Ponta Nova da Feteira).
The brothers of this empire bought land for the establishment of the Brianda Pereira School, which, due to its location next to it, led to their separation from the brothers, giving rise to the formation of another brotherhood, in Boca da Ribeira.
The Empire has a proxy appointed among the brothers with a one-year mandate. There is a butler for each year.
This Empire only celebrates the feasts of the Divine Holy Spirit on Pentecost and Trinity Sundays.
On these Sundays, the days of the bodos, the processions of the Holy Spirit take place, accompanied by a philharmonic, to the Church on the way to the city, called the Church of the Savior of the World, where there is a festive coronation mass, which is followed by the procession to the Empire, where the bread is blessed and distributed by those present, followed by the traditional lunch/function.
In the afternoon, there is a festival, with “eats and drinks”, massa sovada, wine, drained beans, lupins, etc., philharmonic concerts, bazaar, auctions and finally, the appointment of butlers for the following year’s bodos .