Church of Santíssimo Salvador (Sé Cathedral)
Building of the cathedral began in 1570 by order of Cardinal Henrique on top of the previous church from the initial settlement. Among others, the Purveyor of the Navy, Pêro Anes do Canto is buried here. The foreman of this Plain Architecture style cathedral was Luís Gonçalves. This church faces north contrary to the old custom of a church and its main altar facing Jerusalem. The following are of note in this church: the choir stalls of Indo-Portuguese influence, but done with whale ivory (18th century); the front Altar of the Most Holy, done by a local goldsmith (Manuel Carneiro de Lima 1702/20); a stoneware Ming vase, probably arrived on an East India ship; and the largest modern Iberian pipe organ (Dinarte Machado 1993).