Church and Convent of São Gonçalo
Established in 1545 this is the oldest monastery in the city and was the first specifically for nuns, the Order of Saint Clare. It is the largest conventual complex in Angra and one of the largest of the Azores. The monastery has two cloisters, an enclosure and barns. The church and the choirs, upper and lower, are some of the most expressive in the archipelago in the style of King João V. The baroque and conventual style interior has a row of chairs for the upper choir with wonderful figures, a set of Portuguese tile panels (eighteenth century), a crucified Christ on a silver cross (seventeenth century, Spanish School, possibly South American), and rich panelling in carved wood, canvases, and a painted ceiling (eighteenth century).